Delphix and Oracle 12c partnership
More and more people have been asking me how Delphix compares with Oracle EM 12c Cloud Control with Snap Clone.
Delphix compliments Oracle. Oracle and Delphix are partners. Delphix is an Oracle Gold ISV partner and we collaborated at Oracle Open World on hosting hands on Delphix labs.
Delphix adds value to Oracle by enabling Oracle customers to more efficiently and easily make copies of there databases. Databases are typically copied from a production system to development, QA, backups, reporting, sandboxes, UAT, forensics etc. Across these copies 90-99% of the data blocks are duplicate. Instead of making duplicate copies, Delphix enables the duplicate blocks to be shared across all copies. Blocks are shared across the copies which are from the same point in time but more importantly blocks are shared even by copies coming for any point in time thanks to a technology called time flow that collects and tracks datablock changes from a source database. No other technology in the industry has time flow technology. Time flow, data block version management, source database syncing and provisioning of thin clones, aka virtual databases is handled seamlessly and automatically by Delphix and interacting with Delphix is as simple as clicking some buttons in a beautiful UI.
One of the most complementary value adds is enabling the cloning of PDBs in the same container or remote container in minutes for almost no storage no matter the size. The size of PDBs can be a impediment to making copies of PDBs but with Delphix all duplicate blocks are shared on disk and in storage cache thanks to the Delphix technology. The shared block storage and the shared blocks in page caching complements the SGA and processes sharing that PDB technology enables reducing memory usage and allow more databases per given set of hardware.
Oracle EM 12c Snap Clone is a nice feature that allows Oracle customers to leverage existing Netapp or ZFS storage hardware more efficiently but Delphix is software that installs on commodity hardware, allows customers to sync with source data be it Oracle, other databases, application stacks, software distributions, track changes in those sources and provision our space efficient copies in minutes for almost no storage usage to target machines through out customers IT centers or even into the cloud including Amazon AWS.
The bottom line is that most of the functionality that Delphix brings is not available with any other technology in the industry such as
- Data Protection - 30 days of backups and recovery down to the second stored in the same storage size as the original database and accessible in minutes. Fine grain RPO and fast RTO. (see graphic at bottom of post)
- Live Archive - archiving and providing point in time versions of a database in minutes for a fraction of the storage otherwise required. Important for supporting audits like SOX, CCAR, Dodd Frank etc
- Business Intelligence - 24×7 ETL windows & fast refresh of new data in minutes.
- Synchronized Cloning - cloning multiple related databases at the same exact point in time.
- Branching - clones can be cloned themselves in minutes, thus a development team can clone their database and give a copy in minutes to QA
- EBS cloning - push button cloning of the whole EBS stack, binaries, application stack and database
- Clone data protection - clones by default have data protection and if a developer messes up his copy, a new copy can be made in minutes just before the bad operation happened
- Cross platform thin cloning - thin cloning of Unix sources to Linux VDBs
- Data Center Migration - Delphix supports active replication between Delphix appliances making cloud migration simple, efficient and continually synced between in house and cloud.
- Super caching – sharing of duplicate data blocks not only on disk but also in cache on Delphix which looks and acts just like a NAS, aka an NFS file server, from the point of view of the the virtual databases
Not to mention that Delphix supports full automated source syncing and virtual database provisioning other databases beside Oracle such as SQL Server, Sybase, Postgres. Other databases such as DB2 can be virtualized as well with some additional manual steps.
Delphix is software that installs anywhere where as Oracle EM 12c Snap Clone is a feature that is a simple and nice enhancement for the usage of specialized existing hardware, either Netapp or ZFS storage to make static thin clones at one point in time.
Features such as in-memory option are supported by Delphix. In-memory is transparent to Delphix whether the virtual database uses in-memory. In-memory is a memory feature and Delphix is only at the storage level.
On the other hand pluggable database support changes a lot of things. Cloning a single PDB in a CDB involves some complexities and Delphix fully supports PDB cloning. Here is a video I made demonstrating this
Those are all black and white features that Delphix supports but just as a demonstration of this power the following video shows linking to a RAC database and provisioning a RAC clone in minutes:
Another example, mentioned in point one above is the power of Delphix as backup & data protection. The graph below shows the classic Oracle backup routine of a full backup on the weekends and increment backups. The chart below represents at 9TB database with 1TB change rate per day (a huge change rate). At such a change rate, an Oracle backup would be 9TB on the weekend and a daily backup of 1TB of changes. Recovery of such a database on a Friday for example would be entail copying the full 9TB database to the recovery location, then replaying 5 incremental backups each of 1TB on top of the full backup (starting with a full Sunday backup and applying incremental from Mon,Tues,Wed, Thurs, Fri). Such a restore would be a massive operation.
With Delphix, the first link to the source would only be 3TB thanks to compression. Each incremental backup would only be 1/3 TB. Incremental backups are immediately applied and available. Recovering from an incremental on any day would only take minutes with no data movement. A full backup is NEVER taken again. Only incrementals are taken. Thanks to this time flow technology and compression, one can store almost 4 weeks of backups in the size of the original database! and one can access those database version in minutes at the push of a button with no data movement. Recovering is just a matter of pushing a button and Delphix handles mounting the data at that point in time over NFS to a target machine and Delphix starts up and finishes the recovery of that database point in time.